For information and guidance relating to Tier 4 visas, please click here.

// Short Term Study Visas

Non EU/EEA nationals need a short term study visa if they are coming to the UK to study for six months or less (or 11 months if studying an English language programme). You will need a short term study visa to study at WE Bridge Academy if you are:

  • Taking a short course of academic study such as the Intensive International Foundation Programme or Level 4 Diploma
  • Taking a group short course
  • Taking an English programme less than 11 months in duration
  • Taking a teacher training programme
  • Taking a Pre-sessional programme (unless your offer is includes your pre-sessional and academic programme together under the Tier 4 general visa route)
  • Returning to resit an exam

With a short term study visa, you cannot:

  • Extend it
  • Switch (change) to a Tier visa in the UK
  • Get free non-emergency medical treatment through the NHS
  • Work (including voluntary work, work experience or a placement – even if it is unpaid). You can be a volunteer but you must check the difference between voluntary work and being a volunteer

You must either intend to leave the UK within 30 days of the end of your course of study or at the end of the six or 11-month period of leave granted, whichever is sooner.

You must not intend to study in the UK for extended periods that involve frequent or successive visits as a short term student.

// Ways To Apply

How you apply for a short term study visa depends on which country you are from. You must also apply in advance if you have a criminal record or if you have previously been refused entry into the UK. Check to see if you need a visa.

// Applying Before You Leave Home

You must apply online by clicking here. You can apply up to three months before you travel to the UK.

If you are issued a visa for longer than six months, you also have to pay a healthcare surcharge. Check here to see how much you will need to pay.

// Applying at the UK Border

If you don’t need a visa to travel to the UK, you can apply to enter for free as a short-term student when you arrive at a UK port of entry.

Tell the Border Force Officer you want to be admitted as a short-term student (not a standard visitor) and make sure the stamp you get in your passport shows you are here as a short-term student. You’ll need to show some documents.

// Documents

If you are applying before you leave home, you must include:

  • A letter from WE Bridge Academy confirming the details of your studies
  • Qualification certificates if your offer was based on completion of High School
  • A current passport with a page that’s blank on both sides, or other valid travel identification
  • Information about where you’ll stay and your travel plans
  • Links to your home country such as family and employment (include a letter from your employer stating that they consent to you visiting the UK for your study period and the date you are expected back to work)
  • Evidence of finances (see below)

// Financial Evidence

You need to show you have sufficient money to pay course fees and to support yourself in the UK without working or getting help from public funds. WE Bridge Academy will state on your visa letter what funds you have paid towards your course already.

We recommend for living expenses (maintenance) you prove you have the equivalent of £1,015 per month (the current Tier 4 maintenance/living costs figures) for the duration of your course.

// Acceptable Proof of Funds Evidence

Depending on your situation, you can use:

  • Original bank statements
  • An official financial sponsorship letter 
  • Your parents’ bank statement and a letter from them which states they will cover your living and/or accommodation costs for the duration of your stay

// How Financial Evidence is Assessed

UKVI looks at yours (or your parents’) regular outgoings (such as mortgage, rent payments and financial support for any dependants) when they assess your visa application.

If applicable, give evidence of where the money comes from in the account your showing (for example, payslips). If it is your parents’ account, your parents should write a permission letter to use their funds for the purpose of study and maintenance. 

UKVI may also:

  • Make further checks if funds haven’t been in your account for a long time
  • Want to know where the money has come from for any large sums of money that have been paid into the account recently 

// Other Documents You May Need

You might need a tuberculosis test certificate if you are studying an English course longer than six months.  You can check here to see if you need a certificate.

// Translations

If any document is not in English, it must come with a fully certified translation.

// If You Are Under 18

If you are under 18, you need to provide additional documents if:

  • You are travelling on your own
  • You are travelling with someone who is not your parent or guardian

// Travelling on Your Own

You can travel to the UK without an adult if you are aged 18 or over.

Your parent or guardian needs to provide their:

  • Written consent for you to travel to the UK
  • Full contact details

You will also need to provide proof that you have somewhere suitable to live during your stay in the UK, including:

  • The name and date of birth of the person that you will be staying with
  • An address where you will be living
  • Details of your relationship to the person who’ll be looking after you
  • Consent in writing so they can look after you during your stay in the UK

// Travelling With an Adult

When travelling to the UK with an adult (someone 18 or over), you need to identify them in your visa application. Their name will appear on your visa, and you’ll be refused entry to the UK if you arrive in the UK without them.

You can identify up to 2 adults in your visa application and your visa will only be valid if you travel with at least one of them. The adult can apply for a visa at the same time, but you must each complete separate applications.