If you require medical or dental treatment then you need to ensure you register with a doctor or a dentist.

// Register With A Doctor

In the UK, medical non-emergencies are dealt with in a surgery by a doctor, otherwise known as a General Practitioner (GP).

Appointments are short – only five to ten minutes, but your doctor will refer you to a consultant – an expert – if you need extra or special treatment, like an operation. Women will be able to see a female doctor on request.

You will need to register with a doctor close to where you live. NHS Wales will help you find the closest surgery.

⚠️ It’s very important that you register with a doctor before you are treated and you should do this within the first week of your arrival to the UK – don’t wait until you become unwell.

// Register With A Dentist

You can choose which NHS dentist you want to be registered with (it does not need to be the dental practice closest to your residence), but you need to be registered with a dentist before you receive treatment from them.

This useful website will help you find a local dentist.

// Other Help

You can get health advice and information by calling NHS Direct Wales on 0845 46 47, a free service that is available 24 hours a day. You can speak to a nurse who can assess you over the telephone.

// Emergencies

In the UK, if your suffer from a life-threatening emergency, you should dial 999.