If you require a visa to study in the UK, the type you need will depend on a number of factors, including the type and duration of the course you are applying for. It is very important to check if you need a visa before coming to the UK and ensure you apply for the correct type.

When you apply for one of our courses or programmes, and a visa is required, we will inform you of the correct one to apply for.

Do I need a visa? Check now

// Short-term study visa

On 11 January 2018, UK Home Office Visas & Immigration announced changes to the short-term study visa route which will affect all applications decided on or after this date:

  • This route is now open to applicants aged 16 and over (previously 18)
  • Short-term study visa holders may remain in the UK for up to 30 days after the course end date, provided the total time spent in the UK does not exceed 6 months
  • It is now possible to study consecutive and concurrent courses using the same short-term study visa provided the total time spent in the UK does not exceed 6 months
  • It is now possible to come to the UK for Medical Electives using this visa if related to certain overseas degree level courses (medical, dentistry or veterinary degrees only), and students can undertake more than 1 Medical Electives during the 6-month validity of the Short Term Study Visa, as long as they declared both courses when they apply for this visa. Tier 4 will continue to be available for Medical Elective as an alternative option.

// Tier 4 visa

The UK operates a points-based immigration system underpinned by the principle of visa sponsorship. A Tier 4 visa is issued to study in the UK. The sponsor for Tier 4 purposes is the educational institution where the student will study. The visa is issued for a particular course at the institution.

You must apply for a Tier 4 visa prior to travelling to the UK unless you are already in the UK holding a valid visa that permits you to make an application for further leave to remain under Tier 4.

// Electronic Visa Waiver

An electronic visa waiver is valid for a single entry to the UK for up to 6 months for the purposes of tourism, business, study and medical care only. It can only be used by the person named on it and all electronic visa waiver users, including children, must have their own electronic visa waiver document.