WE Bridge Academy accepts students aged 16 and over and has a legal duty of care to all of them. In the UK, a person aged under 18 is classed as a child and the law states that people who work with children have to keep them safe.
// Applicants Under 18
When using our online application form, additional information is required for students aged 16 and 17. A parent or legal guardian will need to complete additional information and provide consent prior to the application being submitted.
// Maintaining Safeguarding
In our commitment to safeguarding, we will ensure:
- Our Designated Safeguarding Person (DSP) and/or Student Accommodation & Welfare Officer meet with under 18s every week
- We have dedicated staff to look after the wellbeing of our students
- All staff and homestay providers are DBS (police checked)
- All staff receive regular and annual safeguarding training
// Travelling to the UK
Our pre-arrival page provides lots of useful information for preparing to travel to the UK.
We recommend booking an airport transfer to Cardiff for your arrival to the UK. You can request an airport transfer when applying to study with us and the prices to Cardiff city centre are shown below. The cost may be more if your arrival location is outside of the city.
If you make your own arrangements for travelling from the airport, please provide us with the details including the time of arrival into Cardiff.
We need to know that students aged under 18 are staying in safe and secure accommodation. We offer homestay accommodation within 35 minutes of the academy using public transport. If a student is aged under 18 and does not want to stay in homestay accommodation, they will need to stay with a responsible adult aged over 18. Full address and contact details should be provided in the Parental Consent section of our application form when applying.
// Attendance Monitoring
All students aged under 18 are required to sign in each day for morning and afternoon lessons (if applicable). Should a student not arrive for their lesson, a member of the Academy will call them to see where they are.
Students who are unwell are required to call us immediately if they cannot attend class. This allows us to ensure they are safe and provide advice should they need to see a doctor.
// A Safe Environment – Online & Offline
Our policies, regular staff training and continuous communication with our students create a safe environment for everyone – whether tuition is delivered online or in person.
WE Bridge Academy has full control over the systems in place used to deliver online learning, which include our Learning Management System, Moodle and Zoom, which is used to deliver live online lessons.
// City Life
Just like WE Bridge Academy, Cardiff is a diverse and friendly place, and by following these simple points, your stay will be even more enjoyable:
- Travel outside of the Academy with another person, or in a larger group, particularly during the winter months when it gets dark early
- Make sure your mobile phone is fully charged and you have enough credit/allowances to make calls
- Tell us where you are; if you can’t attend class, make sure you call the Academy as early as possible. If you plan to travel outside of Cardiff, remember that we need written permission from your parent/guardian
- If you are staying in homestay accommodation, ensure you are home each night by 22:30. Call your homestay if you are going to be late. Need a taxi? Call Dragon on 02920 333 333 – all of their drivers are DBS (police checked)
- You can call the Academy on +44 (0)2920 225 656. If you need to contact us urgently when the Academy is closed, please call +44 (0)7958 469 916 – this is an emergency number only should you have a problem or need to speak to us urgently, and is available 24 hours a day
- We want you to be safe during your time at WE Bridge Academy. However, in the event of a life-threatening emergency, dial 999
// Social Activities and Excursions
We obtain parental consent for social activities and excursions during the application process. If a student wishes to participate in an event not arranged by the Academy, additional consent will be required, in writing.