WE Bridge Academy accepts students aged 16 and over and has a legal duty of care to all of them. In the UK, a person aged under 18 is classed as a child and the law states that people who work with children have to keep them safe. This safeguarding legislation is set out in The Children Act (1989) and (2004).
We understand that as a parent, you may have some questions about how your son or daughter will be looked after when they travel to the UK to study with us. We can assure you that they will be well cared for at WE Bridge Academy.
// We Care From Day 1
WE Bridge Academy boasts a team that genuinely cares about its students and that care continues throughout their journey with us. We will ensure:
- Weekly safeguarding meetings with all students aged under 18
- Dedicated staff to look after the welfare of students
- All staff are DBS (police checked) and trained in safeguarding
// Applications for Students Under 18
As part of the application process and completion of our main application form, we also require additional documentation from the parent/legal guardian to support the application:
- Parental Permission and Medical Consent Form
- Copy of the passport for the parent or legal guardian
The Parental Permission and Medical Consent Form allows us to obtain your consent for your son/daughter to take part in activities, set out expectations and gather important information such as emergency contact details.
// Travelling to the UK
Our Pre-arrival page provides lots of useful information for preparing to travel to the UK.
We recommend booking an airport transfer to Cardiff for your arrival to the UK. You can request an airport transfer when applying to study with us and the prices to Cardiff city centre are shown below. The cost may be more if your arrival location is outside of the city.
Cardiff Airport to Cardiff City Centre: £40 one-way
Bristol Airport to Cardiff City Centre: £90 one-way
Heathrow Airport to Cardiff City Centre: £190 one-way
Gatwick Airport to Cardiff City Centre: £240 one-way
If you make your own arrangements for travelling from the airport, please provide us with the details including the time of arrival into Cardiff.
We need to know that students aged under 18 are staying in safe and secure accommodation. We offer homestay accommodation within 35 minutes of the academy using public transport. If a student is aged under 18 and does not want to stay in homestay accommodation, they will need to stay with a responsible adult aged over 18. Full address and contact details should be provided on the Parental Permission and Medical Consent Form.
All of our homestay providers who provide accommodation to students aged under 18 have a DBS (police check), have taken part in safeguarding training and are visited regularly by our Housing Officer.
// Attendance Monitoring
All students aged under 18 are required to sign in each day for morning and afternoon lessons (if applicable). Should a student not arrive for for their lesson, a member of the academy will call them to see where they are.
Students who are unwell are required to call us immediately if they cannot attend class. This allows us to ensure they are safe and provide advice should they need to see a doctor.
// City Life
Just like WE Bridge Academy, Cardiff is a diverse and friendly place, and by following these simple points, your stay will be even more enjoyable:
- Travel outside of the academy with another person, or in a larger group, particularly during the winter months when it gets dark early
- Make sure your mobile phone is fully charged and you have enough credit/allowances to make calls
- Tell us where you are; if you can’t attend class, make sure you call the academy as early as possible. If you plan to travel outside of Cardiff, remember that we need written permission from your parent/guardian
- If you are staying in homestay accommodation, ensure you are home each night by 22:30. Call your homestay if you are going to be late. Need a taxi? Call Dragon on 02920 333 333 – all of their drivers are DBS (police checked)
- You can call the academy on 02920 225 656. If you need to contact us urgently when the academy is closed, please call +44 (0)7958 469 916 – this is an emergency number only should you have a problem or need to speak to us urgently, and is available 24 hours a day
- We want you to be safe during your time at WE Bridge Academy. However, in the event of a life-threatening emergency, dial 999
// Social Activities and Excursions
We ask for your consent for students to take part in social activities and excursions within the Parental Permission and Medical Consent Form. Should your son/daughter wish to take part in an excursion not arranged by us, or travel on their own (for example, to Bristol), we will require additional written consent from you before the student can take part.
// Photography and Video
On occasions, we take photographs and video of our students to promote the academy. Their image may be used on social media, within marketing material and on our website. We ask for your permission within the Parental Consent Form and will always gain the permission of your son/daughter before capturing their image. We will always be transparent about how their image will be used and we will always respect their decision.
To find out more about our responsibilities to students aged under 18, please visit the British Council website for more information.