Coming to study in the UK is a big move – it may even be your first time here! There are lots of things to consider so we’ve detailed some of the costs to prepare you.

// Council Tax

Council Tax is collected by your local council to pay for services in your community. You may need to pay Council Tax if you rent privately. As a student, you may be eligible for a discount, but this depends on a number of factors. Read more.





Your text

Your text

ctax 300x278 - Budgeting


per year

Average cost (Wales)

(Band D property, before any discounts)

Council Tax
images 1 - Budgeting


per month

Average UK cost

(based on 2 people in a 2-bedroom, terraced property)

111 1110125 water faucet icon at tipton municipal utilities water.png 300x287 - Budgeting


per month

Average UK cost

(based on 2 people in a 2-bedroom property)


// Utility Bills

In the UK you have to pay for water, gas and electricity – and these can be quite expensive. Some landlords may include utility costs within your rent, but always check with them to make sure.

When you move into a new property, your landlord should inform you of the company that supplies your gas and electricity. You should contact them as soon as possible to tell them you have moved in and set up an account in your name. You can normally pay for gas and electricity via Direct Debit – and make sure you take a meter reading each month (unless your property has a smart meter).

If you are responsible for water costs, you should contact the main provider in Wales, Welsh Water.

// TV Licence

You need to pay for a TV Licence in the UK if you:

  • watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer

This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder. Find out more.

// Other Costs

You should consider other costs in addition to those mentioned above, such as money for rent, travel and food.